Porcelain Veneers: Unparalleled Smile Enhancement
You may want to consider porcelain veneers if you have misaligned, broken, chipped, discolored or irregular shaped teeth. Many specialists agree; they are a great way to disguise minor imperfections and various cosmetic dental problems. In addition, porcelain veneers offer unparalleled smile enhancement.
Porcelain Veneers Defined
In dentistry, a porcelain veneer is a thin layer of material that is placed over the front of your existing teeth. Not only do they help protect the tooth’s surface from damage but veneers can also create a more attractive smile by hiding imperfections.
Veneers are designed to complement your unique features by using a distinct shape, size and color that matches your contours. Moreover, they can be used by themselves or they can be paired with other cosmetic treatments to heighten your smile.
One of the best veneer features is that they look very natural. In fact, most people can hardly tell the difference between porcelain veneers and real teeth. They are also quite durable and will last several years if they are properly taken care of.
Are Porcelain Veneers a Good Option for You?
Porcelain veneers are ideal for people with any of the following conditions:
• Broken, chipped or cracked teeth
• Extreme space between your teeth
• Teeth that are worn down from regular use or grinding
• Teeth that have minor defects such as misalignment, irregular shaped or uneven
• Teeth that are discolored due to smoking, medications, age or previous dental work
Advantages and Disadvantages
According to WebMD, porcelain veneers have both advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include:
• Stain resistance
• Aesthetic appeal
• Durable and strong
• A natural appearance
• Gum tissue easily accepts porcelain
• Does not require massive shaping before the procedure
• You have a selection of colors so that dark teeth appear whiter
Veneers also have their drawbacks. Conferring to WebMD, the disadvantages to porcelain veneers are:
• An irreversible process
• Cannot be repaired if they chip or crack
• Cost more than composite resin bonding
• Though not probable, veneers can fall off or dislodge
• Veneer color cannot be changed once they are in place
• Not suggested for those who grind or clench their teeth
• The veneers may not be an exact color match to your teeth
• Not recommended for people with gum disease or decaying teeth
• Because the enamel is removed, teeth are more sensitive to hot and cold
By and large, many agree that the advantages of porcelain veneers far outweigh the disadvantages. This is especially true for people who have minor concerns. What is more, people can be themselves and start smiling anytime an occasion arises.
Alabama Family Dentistry
Porcelain veneers offer you the freedom of being able to smile when you want to without being self-conscience. As a matter of fact, porcelain veneers offer incomparable smile enhancement. For more information about porcelain veneers, schedule an appointment with a dentist to go over the details.
At Alabama Family Dentistry we help you with any questions or concerns or that you may have about veneers or oral health. We are dedicated in using state-of-the-art technology in dental care, cosmetic dentistry, restoration and prevention. Moreover, you can feel confident that you will get the best and most highly developed treatment available. In truth, Alabama Family Dentistry has been providing extraordinary dental care since 1998.
For convenient accessibility, Alabama Family Dentistry has four locations in the Birmingham area – Acton Road Family Dentistry, Gardendale Family Dentistry, Sumitron Family Dentistry and Warrior Family Dentistry.
Note: This article is not intended to replace professional medical advice. Please contact a specialist if you have any concerns or questions.